Sunday, July 31, 2011

Key Lime Cake


I found this recipe online from Eating Well magazine: May 2006 issue.

I decided to use the recipe's key lime filling but to use the Vanilla cake recipe that I recently made 2 weeks ago: Vanilla Cake with Italian Meringue, adding 1-2 tsp of grated lime zest to the batter.

The meringue topping for this recipe looked interesting, but I knew that in our oven with the broken broiler, it would never work. So I used the Italian Meringue frosting recipe, also adding 1 tsp of grated lime zest.


Key Lime Filling
one 14-oz can of nonfat sweetened condensed milk
1/3 cup lime juice (about 2 limes)
1.5 tsp freshly grated lime zest


Freshly grated lime zest

Egg whites whipped into stiff peaks -- to be mixed into cake batter

Using the iPad to follow the Italian Meringue Cake recipe
Cake batter


Beginning to assemble the cake. Meringue frosting in left bowl; lime filling in middle bowl

Key lime filling on first layer

The cake


Cat-proof tent!

No comments: