Sunday, June 26, 2011

Sesame Noodles with Ginger and Snow Peas

My plan for dinner tonight had been to repeat the Yakitori recipe that I made last month.  But our Georgia summer weather changed our plans when a huge thunderstorm started around 6pm, meaning that our outdoor grill plans weren't going to happen.

Instead I made my first recipe from Radically Simple, by Rozanne Gold -- a wedding gift from my friend Kira that is a fabulous cookbook. I have a list of things I want to make from here (possibly Sesame Seed Olive Oil Cookies next).

This dish took 15 minutes to make, and the only ingredients I had to buy were the snow peas, scallions, and restock our peanut butter jar.  This is a vegetarian recipe, but I added shredded chicken breast that was leftover from last week's grill night.  Hubby loved the recipe and called it a "winner."  It wasn't as greasy as other sesame and peanut noodle recipes that I've made long ago. We ate it warm, but think it would be great cold or even for a picnic.

Warm Sesame Noodles with Ginger & Snow Peas
8 oz dried angel hair pasta (original recipe called for linguine, but we preferred thin noodles)
6 oz snow peas
1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
2 Tablespoons fresh ginger (peeled, chopped)
1/4 cup scallions, chopped (green and white parts, ~1 large scallion)
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
1 Tablespoon sesame oil
1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
1 Tablespoon honey
1 large garlic clove, chopped
1/4 tsp Sriracha (added mild heat -- add more if you want spicy)
2 Tablespoons water
1 grilled chicken breast, shredded

Bring large pot of water to a boil. Add the linguine.  About 1 minute later, add the snow peas, and let boil for 3 - 4 minutes.  Drain well.


Combine the peanut butter, ginger, scallion, soy sauce, oil, rice vinegar, honey, garlic, Sriracha, 2 Tbsp water in a mini food processor. Process till very smooth.

Transfer pasta and snow peas to a large bowl.  Add the peanut sauce and toss.  Add the chicken, if desired. Top with cilantro. 

Serves 4 

Ingredients for the sauce


Peanut-sesame ginger sauce



 I would lose many points for plating appearance, but it tasted great


Clonie Cat, begging for chicken
(she got plenty)