Thursday, June 9, 2011

Joy of Chocolate Chip Cookies


I wanted to try a different chocolate chip cookie recipe than the one that I posted previously ( Crispy Chocolate Chip Cookies). Not that the crispy ones weren't excellent. But we had recently received a wedding gift of homemade crunchy chocolate chip and nut cookies from Dan's aunt, and I was hoping to find a recipe that could emulate the same dense, crunchy texture.

The recipe is from Joy of Cooking. In my copy I have written, "7/18/07 Too good!"  The fact that these cookies use ground rolled oats made me wonder if they would have the more hard and solid texture that I was looking for.  But no, since there is so much butter, these cookies melt and flatten into soft, thin discs, like a typical cookie. The flavor is slightly different from a regular chocolate chip cookie -- a distinct taste of the oats


My favorite vanilla - from Your Dekalb Farmers Market 


Chocolate Chip Cookies 
Preheat oven to 375 and position rack in upper 1/3 of oven.

Whisk together:
1 and 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 and 1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Beat on medium speed until creamy:
1/2 lb (2 sticks) butter, softened

Beat in:
3/4 cup sugar
2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1/5 Tablesp milk
2.5 tsp vanilla extract

Stir the flour mixture into the butter mixture until well blended and smooth.

Finely grind in a food processor:
1.5 cups old-fashioned rolled oats

Stir the oats into the dough along with:
1.5 cups semisweet chocolate chips
chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)

Shape the dough into 1.5" balls. Space on cookie sheets 2 inches apart and pat down the tops of the balls. Bake for 8 - 12 minutes, rotating the sheet halfway.

No comments: