Friday, April 1, 2011

Tomatillo-Red Pepper Sauce

I haven't done much cooking since returning from the boards (Peds Heme-Onc certifying exam) in Chapel Hill on Monday. I recently found a small recipe journal of mine from 2007, that starts with this recipe that apparently I found fantastic. ("Amazingly good" according to my notes). It's originally from Cooking Light, July 2007. I don't exactly remember making this, but I do remember that I had a tomatillo recipe that I loved, and this is it. Will have to try it again soon.

Tomatillo Sauce
1 large red bell pepper
2 tsp canola or light olive oil
1 cup finely chopped tomatillo
1/4 tsp salt
1 garlic clove, minced
2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
1 tsp rice vinegar
1 tsp honey

Cut pepper in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membrane.  Place the pepper halves, skin side up, on a foil-lined baking sheet. Broil 15 minutes or until blackened. Place in a plastic bag and seal; let stand 10 minutes then peel the skins and cut the pepper into chunks.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add tomatillo to the pan, cook 6 minutes.  Add salt, garlic and cook 1 minute. Transfer to blender (or use hand-held immersion blender!)  Add bell pepper, cilantro, vinegar, honey. Blend until smooth.

The recipe calls for this sauce to be served over pan-fried fish.  Dredge some mild white fish fillets (i.e. tilapia) in a flour - red pepper - cumin - oregano mixture.  Saute in a frying pan for 5-6 minutes.


Looking forward to making this sauce again, except for the fact that the uber-expensive Thermador Professional oven in the house that we are renting routinely malfunctions and doesn't seem to know how to broil.

No comments: