Saturday, March 12, 2011

Noodle Soup

Fiance had a fever & cold the other day and needed comfort soup. This was an improv soup from what was on hand in the refrigerator. Thank goodness for pork loin the night before.
The frozen noodles were the special ingredient, that traveled to us all the way from Hawai'i, by way of Chicago, thanks to Dan's dad.  I was supposed to us the saimin noodles (read more), but hastily pulled out yaki soba noodles instead, which worked fine. Both similiar to ramen, only better.

5 cups chicken stock
2 cups water
2-3 stalks celery, diced
2 carrots, peeled, finely diced
soy sauce (about 1 Tbsp, to taste)
sriracha (about 1 tsp, to taste)
white pepper, to taste
about 2 cups of:
- cooked pork loin (diced)
- cooked ground turkey
2 packages of frozen noodles

Bring broth/water to boil. Add vegetables, boil 2-3 min. Add soy sauce, sriracha, pepper, meat. Add frozen noodles, stir.

The noodles

 What I was supposed to use.


What I actually used - fully cooked yaki soba noodles.
Added them frozen to the boiling broth, and in 30-60 seconds, they were thawed and done.

No comments: