I have at least 4 or 5 different versions of bulgur salads in my recipe binder. When we were planning a side dish for another afternoon of grilling with company, we decided to try this one. This is a Cooking Light recipe that I initially made nearly 3 years ago. The original recipe calls for peaches and mint, but in April there are no peaches to be found yet (at least not at the Dekalb Farmers market, which has all produce imaginable). So I improvised and used red grapes. I also used a mixture of half parsley and mint, rather than all mint, since I remember that my hubby found too much mint unpleasant when I made this for him a long time ago. This time he said the flavor balance was great.
For our guests (total 8 people) I made 1.5-times the recipe (i.e. 1.5 cups of bulgur + 3 cups boiling water, instead of 1 cup bulgur + 2 cups water). For the lemon and lime juices, salt & pepper I just added to taste. More is better for the juices. Below are the quantities for the original recipe:
2 cups boiling water
1 cup bulgur wheat, uncooked
3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp honey
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
2 cups grapes, cut in half (or diced, peeled peaches, if in season)
1/2 - 3/4 cup diced, fresh parsley
1/2 - 3/4 cup diced, fresh mint leaves
Combine the boiling water and bulgur in a large bowl. Cover and let stand 1 hour, until water is absorbed.
Combine all of the ingredients (juices, olive oil, honey, salt & pepper, grapes, parsley and mint) in the bowl and toss to combine. Chill for 1 hour and serve.
No comments:
Post a Comment