Kiernan's 1-month birthday! As you can imagine, I've had literally no time to cook, bake, blog... barely have time to eat. But I wanted to make a birthday cake for our baby. Coincidentally, our new ERGO baby carrier arrived in the mail on the same day as his birthday, which gave me a few minutes of free hands in the kitchen while carrying him. I made the chocolate cake from Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything" cookbook. Maybe later when I have more time, I will type the recipe in. The cake has a wonderful, strong chocolate taste, using melted unsweetened chocolate instead of just cocoa. As we ate it throughout the week, I thought it became a little dry. The real winner was the chocolate whipped cream frosting. Very unhealthy, but very addictively good.
The cake did not turn out pretty... I didn't have enough time for that. But it tasted excellent.
Chocolate Whipped Cream:
2 cups heavy cream (in future, may try whipping cream, which has slightly less fat)
1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
1/2 cup cocoa, sifted.
With an electric mixer, whip the cream until thickened. Gradually add sugar and cocoa mixture. Cream will thicken to a spreadable consistency. Do not overwhip, or will become like butter. Spread on cake.
No comments:
Post a Comment