Saturday, August 13, 2011

Waffles!



Last Sunday we bought a waffle iron and immediately tried it out for dinner that night with Mark Bittman's "Quick and Easy Waffles" recipe.  For the first one, the batter was slightly too thick, and the waffle split in half when I opened the waffle iron.  After thinning the batter with about 1/4 cup of milk (or less), the batter was right.  When I made waffles again next Saturday morning, I followed Mark Bittman's advice that the green indicator light on most waffle irons goes off when the waffles are not fully done, and tried to give the waffles slightly more time.

After 2 batches, I think I have the basic recipe down. Next time we'll need to branch out with different flours, fruits, or chocolate!

Quick & Easy Waffles
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1.5 cups milk (add 1/8 to 1/4 cup more)
2 eggs
3 Tbsp melted, cooled butter (recipe called for 4 Tbsp -- add more or less as you want)
(optional: 1 tsp vanilla extract -- did not use)

Heat waffle iron to medium to med-high heat and spray with cooking spray.
Preheat oven to 200 to keep waffles warm.

Combine dry ingredients.  Mix together milk & eggs. Stir in butter (plus vanilla if using).  Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.  Add more milk if it seems too thick (batter should spread well on the waffle iron surface).

Spread about 1/4 cup of batter onto the waffle iron and bake until done (usually 3 - 5 minutes).  Keep cooked waffles in 200-degree oven to keep warm.

What happens if the batter is too thick -- the waffle sticks to both plates and splits down the center

A more successful waffle

Waffles and chicken for dinner

No comments: