Many, many months ago I tried this recipe from the March/April 2010 issue of Cook's Illustrated, and I was surprised by how much my hubby (then BF/fiance) loved it. Turned out broccoli is one of his favorite foods, and the Chinese oyster sauce made it taste like good restaurant quality without all of the excess oiliness.
This recipe had several versions (chili-garlic sauce, hoisin sauce, oyster sauce...) I made the oyster sauce version, adding a small amount of chili-garlic sauce, and we agreed this is the best version.
Stir-Fry Broccoli with Oyster Sauce
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken stock
1 Tablespoon soy sauce
2 tsp sesame oil
2 tsp cornstarch
5 Tbsp oyster sauce
2 tsp chili-garlic sauce
2 small garlic cloves, minced
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
2 lbs broccoli, cut into small pieces with stalks peeled, trimmed, and sliced
1/4 tsp sugar
Whisk chicken stock, soy sauce, oil, cornstarch, chili-garlic sauce, garlic in a small bowl.
Heat 1 Tbsp oil in wok. Add broccoli and sprinkle with sugar. Cook, stirring frequently until well-browned, about 8-10 mintues.
Push broccoli to sides of skillet and add the chicken broth mixture to the center. Stir in with broccoli.
2 comments:
m - i don't see any oyster sauce in your ingredient list...
having fun following your cooking adventures. ;)
Yeah, that would help... I was typing fast last night. I think I used 5 Tbsp. Thanks for telling me! :)
Post a Comment