Monday, November 7, 2011

Roasted Banana Pudding

This isn't the type of dessert that I'd typically make, but for some reason, making something different sounded interesting, so I decided to try this Cooking Light banana pudding remake. And it turned out addictively good!  My only complaint would be that roasting bananas in the oven make them shriveled and dry. They were fine to mash for the custard, but had bad texture and taste when eaten as slices. Next time will use uncooked banana slices.

This was also my first time ever using Cool Whip. I actually made the custard yesterday and planned to assemble the whole dish last night, till I got the Cool Whip out of the freezer and realized it has to be thawed to use! So I thawed the Cool Whip, assembled the pudding tonight and had it for dessert after our eggplant Parmesan.  I was dubious about using some fake, frozen whipped topping, but it made the delicious banana custard light and sweet.

We ate a good portion of this tonight, I'm sure it will go fast!



Roasted Banana Pudding

5 ripe, unpeeled bananas (2 lbs)
2 cups 2% milk
2/3 cup sugar, divided
2 Tablesp cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
2 large eggs
1 Tablesp butter
2 tsp vanilla
12 oz fat-free Cool Whip, divided
40 vanilla wafers

  • Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
  • Place bananas on jelly roll pan (coat pan with aluminum as bananas will leak juices and burn). Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Remove 3 bananas.  Cool the 3 bananas, then peel and cut into slices.  Continue to bake the remaining 2 bananas for another 20 minutes.  Peel the 2 bananas and mash with fork until smooth.
  • Combine milk and 1/3 cup sugar in saucepan over med-high heat. Bring to simmer (don't boil).
  • Combine 1/3 cup sugar, cornstarch, salt, and eggs. Stir with whisk.  Gradually add hot milk mixture to eggs, stirring constantly.
  • Return milk mixture to pan.  Cook over medium heat until thick and bubbly (3 minutes).  Remove from heat.
  • Add mashed banana, butter, vanilla and stir until melted.
  • Cool in refrigerator to room temp.
  • Fold ~6oz whipped topping into pudding.
  • Spread 1 cup custard over bottom of 11x7" glass pan
  • Top with 20 vanilla wafers and half of banana slices
  • Spoon half of remaining custard over banana. Top with 20 wafers, bananas, and remaining custard.
  • Spread ~ 6oz whipped topping over top.
  • Refrigerate 1 hr, until chilled
Roasted, blackened bananas

Custard with banana

First layer of custard

    No comments: