Thursday, May 19, 2011

Aussie Food



This month we traveled to Australia for our honeymoon and had some wonderful fish meals and great restaurant recommendations from friends.  Some of the highlights:


We arrived in Sydney at 7:00am, after a 14 hr flight from SFO.  Amazingly we stayed awake and barreled through the first day, seeing the Botanic Gardens, Opera House, Wildlife Center & Aquarium, and finding a nice Vegetarian Thai lunch counter by Darling Harbor. For the first evening we ate at this restaurant (Fish at the Rocks), and had these fish dishes:

Haramasa Kingfish Fillet (mine)

Barrmundi in coconut curry (Dan's)
(an Asian seabass, seemed to be common in Aussie restaurants, but I'd never heard of it)


Proffiteroles for dessert
(which was the first dessert I made for Dan, and probably the most impressive one)




We next headed to the Blue Mountains and a little mountain town called Katoomba where we had dinner at the Old City Bank & Brasserie, ate pastries, did hiking, and had my first (and last!) taste of vegemite for breakfast.

 Chicken Tagine at the Old City Bank
The Three Sisters, the most famous landmark in the Blue Mountains


Went running in Katoomba (cold weather, reminded us of winter at the Grand Canyon)
Stopped for coffee, toast, and Vegemite! It tastes as good as it looks :P



our pastry shop stop in Katoomba

Croissant with almond custard filling. This tasted amazing.




Headed back to Sydney where we were determined to get to Fish Face, a restaurant recommended by friends (Kira+Solar) who honeymooned here 4 years ago. It was tiny and crowded on a Friday night, but worth the eats.  We sat at the sushi bar corner, in front of the open kitchen, watching the cooks work.  The sushi was not up to my husband's standards, but the fish was better than anything we've had in the U.S.  He got the famous Fish & Chips, which had a tempura-like light batter. It was so much food that when I finished my plate, I had to help him with his! :D

I chose the Special - John Dory with mushrooms


The Fish & Chips in their paper cone


The next day we flew to Cairns, where our main focus was the Great Barrier Reef and snorkeling, rather than food. After an all day boat trip to the Reef, we did find a nice Thai restaurant in town.

After that we began the 31 hour journey home (flying Cairns to Sydney, Sydney to LA, enjoying >1 hour waits at Immigration, LA to Denver, Denver to ATL).  Some nice travel food sights along the way included Pie Face (an Aussie chain of fast food pie meals) and breakfast at Hungry Jack (which seems to be either a blatant rip-off or an associate of our Burger King). We enjoyed our last Aussie "Brekky" in the Sydney airport!

Pie faces!

 Value Brekky!  $5 AU for a sandwich and coffee is a steal in this country. Another airport stand was selling pre-made sandwiches for $20!

Even by the last day, I didn't know how to order coffee in this country. Long Black, long white, I didn't know what anything meant...


Sights of Sydney, hope to return again!




St. Mary's cathedral, across the street from our Sheraton hotel. We ran out this way every morning, and the sunrise hitting the fountain was amazing each time!


4 comments:

kurokitty said...

A great trip!

Kirakirakira said...

Fish face,! Happy you made it. :-)

Anonymous said...

What does vegemite taste like? I understand it tastes bad ...

marianne said...

Very salty and sort of earthy and bitter. My first taste was ok, but then I could barely eat the bread.

When I ordered it, the waiter said, "An American accent ordering vegemite. I like it."