Saturday, December 24, 2011

Gingerbread

Also an old recipe that I've been making since college. It was given to me by my friend Nicole, from one of her cooking magazines (Gourmet February 1996). I have made it every Christmas that I've been home. It has a strong, wonderful molasses taste, and is great with vanilla ice cream.

Note: a flour sifter is helpful for this recipe, to get a lighter texture to the flour. This will cook in ~30 min in a 9x9 inch pan. If 8x8 inch pan, must cook 10-15 minutes longer.



Gingerbread
2.5 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1.5 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon (or more) ground ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil (in the past I have used 1/4 cup oil, 1/4 cup applesauce)
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 cup unsulfured molasses
1 cup hot water (160 degrees)

Directions
  1. Preheat to 350-degrees. Grease and flour a 9" square baking pan.
  2. Sift flour, baking soda, spices, salt in a bowl.
  3. In another (larger) bowl, beat oil, sugar, egg, and molasses.
  4. Gradually beat flour mixture and hot water into liquid mixture, beating until smooth.
  5. Pour batter into pan and bake 30 minutes or longer, until tester comes out clean.

Biscotti and gingerbread, on Christmas Eve

No comments: